The GMNC does its work through an Executive Committee and working committees made up of the Council’s board members, general members, affiliates and community participants. Each committee reviews issues and concerns brought to it and makes recommendations to the Board; and committees also initiate the investigation of issues and concerns within the GMNC boundaries. Send us a message for more information, or contact the committee chairs directly using the email addresses listed below.
Outreach Committee (OC) – focuses on creating a plan designed to reach out to all stakeholders within our community with a view to amplify organizational presence across multiple channels over a sustained period of time leading to a measurable change in reputation, reach and impact. For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Community Benefits Committee (CBC) – creates a set of standard benefits that the community recognizes a clear framework with established expectations of the Greater Mattapan community. The goal is that these are used to create Community Benefits Agreements (CBAs) – agreements/contracts signed by community groups and a real estate developer that requires the developer to provide specific amenities and/or mitigations to the local community or neighborhood. Often, negotiating a CBA relies heavily upon the formation of a multi-issue, broad-based community coalition. For more information, please send an email to
Zoning Committee – Provides support to residents and neighborhood associations in interactions with developers, city and Commonwealth agencies/departments, towards the best possible outcomes, achieving goals of sustainability and balance. This is achieved thru the following:
- Provide training for residents and civic associations on understanding the zoning codes and Design Review Process;
- Working with residents and civic associations on the review of appeals to the city’s Board of Appeal concerning conditional use permits, changes of occupancy, variances from Article 60 (Greater Mattapan Neighborhood), Article 80 (Large Projects), Article 80-E (Small Projects), and Article 89 (Urban Agriculture) of the city’s Zoning Codes;
- Review and monitoring of actions and decisions of, and the entering into agreements with, the Boston Planning & Development Agency or any other governmental department or agency having jurisdiction of building and/or land use matters and the monitoring of enforcement of the Zoning and Building Codes including, but not limited to, all building and land use projects subject to Boston Planning & Development Agency, Board of Appeal, Inspectional Services Department or other governmental approvals.
For more information, please email to email@example.com .
Housing & Development Committee: advocates for affordable housing in Greater Mattapan area by monitoring the development and preservation of housing stock in our community, and by working to ensure that development projects are guided by public participation and an inclusive community process. Responsibilities of the committee include:
- Providing a community forum for information and discussion around issues of Greater Mattapan development projects while they are in the early planning and conceptual phases
- Working with the City of Boston to assure a forum for community input into the dispossession of public land
- Reviewing developers’ adherence to GMNC community benefits standards and guidelines.
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Public Service Committee: is involved in the areas of judiciary/community relations, public works, transportation, and crime to ensure that the Greater Mattapan area is safe and accessible. Responsibilities of the committee include:
- Reviewing requests for food service, alcohol, and entertainment licensing, and making recommendations to the appropriate licensing board or committee
- Working with utilities and city departments to address a range of public safety and public service issues – including street maintenance and repair, trash and snow removal, traffic and parking, and access to public transportation
- Partnering with the Boston Police and local crime watch groups to promote safety and tackle crime-related problems
For more information about the Public Service Committee, please send an email to email@example.com .
Environment, Parks & Energy Committee: works to promote and protect open space throughout, raise awareness of green issues in Greater Mattapan and advises on neighborhood energy issues. Responsibilities of the Committee include fostering community around parks and green space; networking with other existing organizations and programs related to maintaining and protecting open space and the environment; advocating for parks and open space and advising on matters related to environmental sustainability, protection, and restoration.
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .